Hawk's Nest

Sunday, December 11, 2005


The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Decembers seem to be a time for fantasy and this year was no exception. I organized a group to embark into the land of Narnia and there was much to see and enjoy. Now, this is no Lord of the Rings. Comparisons are to be expected but to be fair, this film needs to stand or fall on its own...not as a "lite" version of Peter Jackson's masterpieces (in my opinion). That said, many aspects of the film were delightful translations of the book. Lucy, Edmund, Mr. Tumnus, Aslan and the Professor all were as expected. Edmund may not have been as obsessed with Turkish Delight as I remember, but overall, they were endearing.

The obvious addition of the river sequence was a bit thin and the battle scene was more lavicious than the book sequence. But overall, I'd visit Narnia again...for some of the characters and especially for Narnia itself. I had the same desire for exploration that I had during Lord of the Rings because I enjoy alternatively-conceived worlds. Translating those from the mind's eye to the screen is a tricky task. In this case, the important elements worked and made me hungry for more.

Thanks to C.S. Lewis, I don't need to wait and it's always a good sign when I'm wanting to continue my journeys immediately by reading the classic literature it's based on. So I'll settle into the canon of Narnia for now and enjoy the movie again in the future because it takes me to a place I've loved most of my life without spoiling it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home